Monday, May 30, 2011

My Diagnosis

In November 2009, I had just returned home to Tempe, AZ after studying abroad in Brisbane, Australia. I was so happy to be back, visiting friends and family. However, after a few weeks, I developed symptoms that seemed like a UTI, though it felt a bit different. I went to the doctor and told them I thought I had a UTI and my urine was tested, I was given antibiotics, and sent on my way. After a couple days, I got a yeast infection from the antibiotics and used an OTC treatment. After that cleared up, my UTI symptoms were still present, so back to the doctor I went. This time, they told me they did not see any bacteria in my urine indicating that I had a UTI. (To this day, I don't know if I ever did have a UTI. The doctor never confirmed my diagnosis the first time I went in.) Luckily, the nurse treating me has studied Interstitial Cystitis (IC) extensively, so she had a hunch that is what I had. She gave me an IC Diet food list, told me to follow it and come back in a couple days to do a test. Oh man, that was a very difficult visit to the grocery store! I felt like I couldn't have anything I liked to eat! I was so frustrated. But after following the diet, I noticed that my pain lessened a little bit. So that's what I told her when I went back to the doctor's office. She then told me she was going to put a catheter in me and place a solution in my bladder as a test. I had no idea what she was talking about, but she was the professional, so I agreed. Now I know that she was performing the potassium sensitivity test on me. Basically, she put bladder irritating things inside me and if it hurt, then yes, I have Interstitial Cystitis. Oh my god, did it hurt. It hurt so bad I screamed for them to stop. If I would have known that was the "test" they were doing, I would have maybe said no. I was really upset that the procedure wasn't fully explained to me. Anyway, I'm getting off topic here. So, she gave me a packet with a CD explaining what IC is and how to manage it, along with a prescription for Elmiron and sent me on my way. I was so scared. I don't think it had sunk in yet. It took a long time for it to sink it.

I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis, a chronic, painful bladder disease. I didn't know how much pain it was going to put me through. I didn't know how difficult my life would be from now on. I didn't know anything. I've come a long way since my diagnosis. I've learned a lot about IC. I've learned a lot about myself, physically, mentally, and spiritually. And I believe that I have finally healed myself of IC. It's taken me a long time to get to this point, about 2 years of struggle! But I can finally say that I am pain-free now. I'd like to share my story with you, in hopes that you can find relief from your suffering as well.

When we are diagnosed with IC, we are told that there is no cure. There is only ways to live with it. But I am here to tell you that is not true. You are not stuck with IC. You can heal yourself. Never say never. The truth is out there. But you're not going to find it if you're not looking.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment