Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Flackers & Guacamole


Sometimes you crave something salty & crunchy and it's hard to find a raw treat that meets those requirements. I made this recipe for a potluck and everyone loved them! I love it when I can prove to others that eating raw food doesn't mean that you won't be eating tasty treats.


Flackers

Ingredients:
2 cups of flax seeds
2 cups of water
Pink Himalayan sea salt
1 tbsp of minced herbs (optional)

What to do:
1. Cover the flax seeds with water and soak for at least 1.5 hours. You want the mixture to be gooey, but not runny and not too thick.
2. Stir in herbs/salt if you choose.
3. Spread the mixture about 1/8 inch thick on parchment paper in the dehydrator.
4. Dehydrate at 110 degrees F for about 4-6 hours.

Guacamole

Ingredients:
1 whole avocado
1 clove of garlic
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Pink Himalayan sea salt as desired
1/4 cup onions (optional)
1/4 cup tomatoes (optional)

What to do:

Pop everything into a food processor and whiz it up! If the mix is a little too thick, just add a little bit more olive oil to the processor to loosen the mixture. You can also do it by hand if you don't have a processor.


I put a tomato on top to garnish, but you can use anything you want!


A note for those with IC...
I have always been afraid of tomatoes, thinking they are not IC friendly, but I decided to give them a try. The ICN Diet List has homegrown tomatoes on the "Try it" section. The tomatoes I used I got from the farmers market, so I know they are organic and local, which is considered to be homegrown. I know that store-bought tomatoes are more acidic than homegrown ones, I think it has something to do with the time they are picked, if they are ripe when picked or not. Either way, I tried them, and I'm glad I did, because they were delicious and not painful! It's a good recipe without them, too, so don't push yourself if you don't think you can tolerate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment